Monday, August 25, 2008

hostage in my own home

I hate mice. And right now we have one in our house. At least I hope there is just one. We caught one a couple weeks ago and this past Saturday we saw another one, but have yet to catch it.

I have to admit that I am rather a wimp when it comes to mice. I don't know why exactly since as Steve keeps reminding me, what could they possibly do to me?

Well, what they could do to me is to make me afraid in my own house. It's not the idea of a mouse "doing" something to me exactly, it's the unknown of where I might encounter one. I think part of the issue is that up until yesterday I have never seen the mice. (Note: We had two in our house several years ago and I went though a similar trauma.) I didn't even know what I was supposed to be looking for or trying not to look for. I have however been too close for comfort when I heard one or Steve saw one.

I just don't like the idea that I am always on the lookout and scared that I'm about to be startled. It's not that I actually think the mice are going to attack me or something.

Okay, how crazy is this...just now in REAL TIME, the mouse trap just snapped in the kitchen! I totally jumped a mile and gasped. After that I could hear the mouse struggling against the trap as I tried to remain calm at my perch on the computer chair. Do I dare go look to see if it's still there? What if it struggled enough to escape? Oh good grief...I hate this. Of course, I really want to know if it has been caught, but then again, do I really want to go look at the thing in the trap?

What a dilemma. I wish Steve were home right now. I'm such a wimp. A terrified wimp.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am with you! I hate mice and always seem to be the one who finds them. Hope it is dead in the trap and just leave it for Steve.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I totally feel for you! When I first moved to Chicago I had this old apartment over an old run store... I was pretty sure I had a mouse, but was ready to leave for vacation and thought "I have 2 cats, it will be gone when I get home" Um - when I got back the mouse and it's FIVE babies had becoming LIVE tossing toys of the cats... I had to call my mom (in Champaign) for help... I am a way bigger wimp!

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home