Thursday, August 02, 2007

Not so new carpet

Long story short...our basement flooded tonight. It's midnight and we are just now calling it quits after four hours of intense working. We got an obscene amount of rain tonight and we have a drainage problem in the back of our house, causing water to pool in our back window well. The window didn't hold water, so it poured into the basement. No, this has never happened before. And we were gone when it started happening tonight.

The "new" carpet is now completely ripped up in the whole family room. We were able to keep the water from seeping into all the other rooms. But the hallway carpet that was just replaced two days ago...ruined. Luckily, we probably don't have any major furniture damage, other than perhaps the futon and maybe a couple pillows. And Anya will lose a couple books and toys left on the floor and futon. But the damage to the walls and anything else is yet unknown.

The last four hours have been a blur of water, crying children, and a complete mess.

And I seriously thought I had kneeled on the concrete to scrape the floor with a putty knife for the last time. Not so.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - that REALLY stinks!! And the timing is awful! I suppose you will look back and laugh on this in the future? I hope things get repaired and you get resettled soon! I am so sorry to hear this!

6:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Lara, that's awful! I hope everything works out OK!!

7:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sucks! We were wondering how bad it was over there since it was pretty bad here and we weren't even in the flash flood warning.

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh!!!

After things were going so well for you this week! AND it is incredibly ironic that this happened right after you got your carpet fixed. Its almost like a sign you are not meant to have nice carpet in that location. I hope that your home owners insurance will take care of it.

When I read your post I was like "Oh No!" really loud and freaked Ryan out. haha

Thanks for all of the great postings. Its wonderful to see pictures of how Evan is growing.

8:54 PM  
Blogger Hilary said...

SO SAD!!! I'm so sorry for you. This is very traumatic and especially annoying with 2 little ones.

LOVE the pictures you added though. I almost started crying when I saw the ones of Anya in the pigtails. I'm OBSESSED with her in pigtails - she is mega-darling.

LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU-can't wait for a WEEK from now!

8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh! I can't believe it happened immediately after finally getting the new carpet replaced. I wish, wish, wish we were there to help out. At least it wasn't sewage. I can't count the number of times my parents woke my brothers up in the middle of the night to bale sewage out of the basement when there was a similar flash flood. That's why I never wanted a basement. Dad says we're high this time so no danger. But, given your situation, who knows?

6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home