Thursday, August 02, 2007

Happier Evan = Happier Everything

So, I obviously neglected to write a post when Evan turned three months old. He will be four months old next week, so I thought I owed him (and all of you) a new post on how he is doing.



Three months was supposed to be this magical milestone where the crying would stop and he would be a lot more fun. Well, the crazy crying hasn't stopped completely, but we have had some drastic improvements. I feel a lot less nervous about taking him places now and he is starting to actually be fun. The biggest sign that tells me he is growing up is in my reaction to him. I am treating him more like a person with real emotions. For example, when I have to leave him alone for a minute to go in another room to get something, I feel bad leaving him and tell him I'll be back soon.

When Evan is happy, he is extremely happy - smiling, laughing, gurgling spit in his mouth, and trying to make some sounds. It is wonderful! And it is so fun to watch his face light up at the sight of his big sister. She doesn't even have to be doing anything special, but he just gets so excited to see her.

Evan is sleeping pretty well during the day, although I haven't tried to establish or really even look for patterns in his sleep. This is how it was with Anya as an infant, too. I didn't feel the need for a schedule and it feels less stressful to me to just go with the flow. At night we have been working at having him sleep in his room in his crib (as opposed to in our bed). This has been working with mixed success. He sleeps great for his first stretch at night, often sleeping over five hours long. But then after I feed him for the first time in the middle of the night, he has trouble staying asleep in his crib. Steve has been getting up and dealing with him at these times, but we aren't always sure what to do with him.

Life at home is starting to feel more routine with two kids. We haven't had any visitors or traveling going on for the past three weeks, so that has been kind of nice, too. It is still EXTREMELY demanding to take care of two kids and I admit that I often am not enjoying it, but there still isn't anything I would rather be doing. The high points are really high, but the lows are also really low, so that is hard. I know it will continue to get easier and more fun, but I am also trying to appreciate life more as it is now and not just look longingly toward the future.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought the most interesting commnent in this blog was the following:

"It is still EXTREMELY demanding to take care of two kids and I admit that I often am not enjoying it, but there still isn't anything I would rather be doing."

That is a perfect description of being a mother of two young children. Isn't that the dilemma -it isn't always fun - but at the very same time, there is nothing we'd rather be doing.

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home