Tuesday, December 06, 2011

much to be thankful for

We're battling the stomach flu around here. Nora first got sick two weeks ago (right before Thanksgiving), Anya last Friday (at school), and Evan on Sunday (during intermission at The Nutcracker). Steve and I are miraculously staying healthy. Instead of whining about how much I hate this, I thought I would focus on what I am thankful for. But first, a photo. This list (written by Anya) pretty much sums up what our lives have been revolving around lately.



I am thankful for:
  • Healthy children
  • My health
  • A chance to slow down
  • Staying home
  • Fresh air
  • Recognizing the importance of caring for one's basic needs
  • Forgiving children
  • Patience
  • Patience in my children
  • Being needed
  • Being comforting
  • The way my children relax against my body
  • Watching them sleep
  • The pleading eyes of my children looking up at me and wanting this all to be over
  • For Anya saying, "What if there was a sickness that you could never get better from and you just had it your whole life." Yes, what if?
  • A caring school environment for Anya
  • The understanding people around us at the Nutcracker
  • The remarkable timing of Evan not getting sick until intermission
  • Being prepared
  • Aisle seats
  • My mom
  • A friend from church to sit with Anya
  • My parents and aunt living close by and ready to help
  • My husband
  • Having a husband who doesn't think this is all my responsibility
  • Being a two car family
  • That I don't have a job
  • Steve having a very flexible job
  • Money
  • Running water
  • Hot running water
  • Dishwasher
  • Washer and dryer
  • Towels, towels, and more towels
  • Plenty of old comforters and blankets inherited from the stupid 600lb. pallet of moving/packing blankets we had to buy to move to IL
  • Those stupid blankets not seeming so stupid anymore
  • Plenty of mixing bowls
  • Hand lotion
  • Chapstick
  • Kleenex
  • Comfy clothes
  • Wrapping Christmas presents
  • The glow of Christmas lights making this all feel a little more cozy and a lot less gloomy
  • Eating lunch by candlelight with Nora
  • Crackers
  • A plethora of beverages
  • An extra refrigerator in the basement
  • A basement to spend our nights with a restless, vomiting child
  • Baking muffins
  • Anya making a get-well card for Nora
  • Helpful children
  • Books
  • TV
  • The library
  • My iPhone
  • My laptop
  • Grey's Anatomy on Netflix instant
  • Headphones
  • Naptime
  • The quiet
  • The fact that I'm managing to visit my blog and post something and not just stare at that last post and wonder how to pick up from there

I'm here. Life is good. We will obviously get through this and be back to "normal" life again soon, but for now a little piece of me has been calmed and renewed through this illness.

More later...I'll try.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Michelle said...

Good to hear from you, hope you are all better soon!

10:09 PM  
Blogger Hilary said...

You're awesome, Lara. That is all. :)

10:09 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Lara, I know you and puke and am amazed by how well you are handling this.

I also try and focus on the things I should be thankful for, it helps the other things not seem as bad.

Hope this yuckyness leaves you house soon. Your list was a wonderful representation of the love and warmth in your home/family. :-)

Melissa

6:37 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Sorry you guys are dealing with a whole lot of sickness over there. Sending get well wishes and a sale on 7up.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Sending healing thoughts and TLC! Miss you all!

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home