September 10, 2010
This buoyancy activity was prompted by our homeschooling lessons for the week, but it really just exploded (in a good way). The basic idea was to put some things in water to see if they would float. But we started by making two lists of things Anya and Evan thought would sink or float. And then we tested it out to see if they were right and made new lists. Biggest surprises (for them) - apples float and potatoes sink. And apparently rocks and cloth napkins are the most popular thing to dump in the water. I knew they would love this activity, but what I predicted was that Evan would want to put our whole house under water. However, I was pleasantly surprised that the only thing he put in the water without asking first was a banana.
It is really cool, and kind of strange, to be doing an activity with my kids that I did with my high school students when I was teaching.

Another favorite activity...making crescent rolls. Sometime we should make the dough ourselves, but then we wouldn't get to fight over who gets to pop open the tube.

It is really cool, and kind of strange, to be doing an activity with my kids that I did with my high school students when I was teaching.
Another favorite activity...making crescent rolls. Sometime we should make the dough ourselves, but then we wouldn't get to fight over who gets to pop open the tube.

2 Comments:
Great learning idea!
p.s. I so want to know if that's your school calendar on the wall behind the cresent roll photos...
Cool activity! And, yes, I'm curious about the color coded thing on your wall, too! I love seeing other people's ways of organizing! :)
And, if we lived closer, I'd have you send your kids over whenever we needed to pop open a can of biscuits or rolls or pizza dough. I hate doing that - it scares me.
Post a Comment
<< Home