September 7, 2010
After attending the MCC Relief Sale in Arthur, IL, Anya and I got inspired to make some MCC kits. We made two baby bundles and two school kits. Technically one of each for Evan and Anya to help pick out the items, although Anya and I did most of the picking and getting ready.
She even helped me sew up the blanket and bag for her kits by sitting on my lap and helping guide the fabric and take out the pins. She was SO into doing this whole project and spent a lot of time carefully choosing, sorting, laying out, and wrapping up her items. It was really cool and I'm glad we did it together. Tomorrow we'll drop them off at Ten Thousand Villages and they will eventually make it to someone in the world who needs them. They are sent with much love and care.
This project and the photo above make me stop and think how old Anya really is right now. She just seems so grown up. When we got the idea to make the kits, Anya could not wait. She was so intent on making them as soon as possible. She was so concerned about where we would find the few items we had trouble locating at first. Sometimes (okay, often), I get frustrated with her impatience and get impatient with her in return. But sometimes I am able to stop and say, "Sure, why not...if what you really want to do today is go and pick out fabric so we can make a blanket big enough since we can't find one in the store and we didn't really have anything that important going on that we can't do some other time, then let's go." She still had to wait longer than what she had planned, but we did get all the supplies within the first week. I mean, I totally get it. When I get a project in my head, I want to get started right away, too. Oh my dear Anya, I love you and your five and a half year old self, even if sometimes I'm still learning how to treat you as such a grown-up girl.

2 Comments:
<3
Great posts! Yes, Anya does look so grown-up in this picture. And I think she looks a lot like Steve here.
Anya has always seemed "grown up" to me, though, since she's a couple of years older than Ben. It always interests me to see what kind of activities you guys do together, and I wonder when Ben will be ready for them. Evan has the advantage of getting a head start since he's got a big sister!
Post a Comment
<< Home