resolutions and regrets
Some of you might not know this about me, but I tend to have a lot of regrets or guilt going on in my life. I don't always like this part of me and I can't quite figure out how to conquer it. I'm resolved to not let this blog get added to the list of regrets. At the same time, I am trying to go easy on myself and try to set realistic expectations in all areas of my life. So, in an attempt to just get this off my chest...here's a two part list of some of the things haunting me. Afterall, it is the season for resolutions.
My list sorted itself into things I wish I did more often and things I wish I did less often. Seriously, I'm not writing this list so that you comment back and tell me that I need to go easy on myself. I know I need to let some of this stuff go (and some of it I already have but am just including it for completeness.) I know I'm a good parent/person/friend and I should cut myself some slack. Just allow me to get this list out there and then I'll (try to) move on. Perhaps acknowledging all this stuff will allow me to move a little bit past these self-inflicted expectations (and regrets). Yes, some of these are silly and some are more serious. Some of them don't matter and some maybe do. Some of them I'll change and some of them I won't.
Part 1: Things I feel guilty about not doing as frequently as I want/need/should:
Blogging.
Cleaning my shower. Seriously...it's gross.
Mopping my floors.
Going outside.
Bathing my children.
Keeping in touch with friends. If you're reading this...I'm sorry.
Flossing my teeth.
Informing myself about current events.
Cooking dinner.
Organizing my photos.
Exercising.
Taking my kids to fun places.
Reading.
Documenting in baby books, photo albums, etc.
Cleaning my stove top.
Shaving my legs.
Part 2: Things I feel guilty about doing more often than I want/need/should:
Drinking Coke.
Yelling at my kids.
Spending time on the computer.
Regretting past conversations, actions, or purchases that I've made.
Regretting past conversations, actions, or purchases that I have NOT made.
Eating fast food.
Being annoyed by other people.
Checking facebook.
Worrying about what others think.
Watching TV.
Okay, I feel better now. No regrets.
My list sorted itself into things I wish I did more often and things I wish I did less often. Seriously, I'm not writing this list so that you comment back and tell me that I need to go easy on myself. I know I need to let some of this stuff go (and some of it I already have but am just including it for completeness.) I know I'm a good parent/person/friend and I should cut myself some slack. Just allow me to get this list out there and then I'll (try to) move on. Perhaps acknowledging all this stuff will allow me to move a little bit past these self-inflicted expectations (and regrets). Yes, some of these are silly and some are more serious. Some of them don't matter and some maybe do. Some of them I'll change and some of them I won't.
Part 1: Things I feel guilty about not doing as frequently as I want/need/should:
Blogging.
Cleaning my shower. Seriously...it's gross.
Mopping my floors.
Going outside.
Bathing my children.
Keeping in touch with friends. If you're reading this...I'm sorry.
Flossing my teeth.
Informing myself about current events.
Cooking dinner.
Organizing my photos.
Exercising.
Taking my kids to fun places.
Reading.
Documenting in baby books, photo albums, etc.
Cleaning my stove top.
Shaving my legs.
Part 2: Things I feel guilty about doing more often than I want/need/should:
Drinking Coke.
Yelling at my kids.
Spending time on the computer.
Regretting past conversations, actions, or purchases that I've made.
Regretting past conversations, actions, or purchases that I have NOT made.
Eating fast food.
Being annoyed by other people.
Checking facebook.
Worrying about what others think.
Watching TV.
Okay, I feel better now. No regrets.

3 Comments:
Love the list - and love getting to "know" you a bit better as you grow into the role of a mother of three, and embark upon five years of SAHM status! Keeping up with friends is a two-way street, so I'm also sorry for not doing a better job. But I LOVE that I'll get a little glimpse into your life every day!
Good luck with your goal --- you CAN DO IT!!
Great list. I think I share 70% of those with you. So I totally understand. I think I need to make my own list to "let go." I just may copy you.
<3
A fun post. It would be fun to compare lists with different people. I'm looking forward to seeing you soon.
Post a Comment
<< Home