Tuesday, October 07, 2008

baby quilts

I can now reveal the secret sewing project that my dear friend Kim and I have been working on. This was my inspiration to learn how to use my sewing machine and what kept me going on using it. When I was pregnant with Anya and Evan, my high school friend Kim made them each beautiful baby quilts. We have a mutual high school friend Melissa who just recently gave birth to triplets. When we found out she was pregnant, Kim still wanted to make quilts, but wasn't sure she was ready to tackle three on her own. I really wanted to try to learn how to make them, so we decided to make it a joint project. We met several times to pick out fabric, lay everything out and do some sewing together, but we also worked on things individually in between our "quilting circles." It turned out to be a lot of fun. Well, except maybe the hand-stitching on the binding, that was just tedious, but worth the work.

Thank you to Kim for being my other sewing teacher - I didn't mention you in my previous blog about my new hobby because I didn't want Melissa to suspect anything! But you were amazing, Kim, and I owe so much to you for getting me going! I am so proud of what we made together and the fun we had doing it.

Besides being a huge motivator for me to sew, this joint quilting project really kept me feeling connected to Melissa and her babies as we all waited and worried about them all. I felt far away and helpless, but at least I had the quilts to work on when I couldn't do much else.

We finally parted with them at the end of September and Kim's mom delivered the quilts to Melissa in Illinois. So now I can finally show pictures of them all. I posted them in a web album, so check it out.

triplet baby quilts

6 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

Soooo cute! When did Mel have the babies...I have no clue..no one kept me in the loop.

5:47 PM  
Blogger Crystal said...

Wow! They turned out so beautifully! I bet Melissa was so happy when she got them. The colors and patterns you chose are so Melissa! I know that she was really hoping you guys would do quilts for her.
My favorite one is the second one pictured across the top row. Great work!

6:25 PM  
Blogger Hilary said...

they turned out great! impressive.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I am so totally impressed! I am strictly a quilter and knitter. I am not mathmatically evolved enough to handle patterns! Love the doll house stuff, I can't wait until Danielle is into fun stuff like that!

I have to comment that you find the CUTEST stuff for Anya!From the tights (love every pair I see on her) to the painting gloves - she is always so adorable!

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So cute!! I am impressed with all of the projects that you've done, but these quilts are amazing. I'm sure Melissa and the babies will love them.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I absolutely LOVE these quilts. You dont know how excited I was when I peaked into one of the bags and saw them. I showed them off to everyone in the NICU.

They are even cuter in real life. The fact that Lara and Kim worked on them together makes them even more special - and that you learned how to sew making them is so impressive!

I love them! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home