Sad, but true...
A week ago tonight, we did a very sad thing...we said goodbye to our dear friends, Craig, Hilary, and Kate. I'm tearing up just thinking about it. I tried not to think of our parting as any different than just saying goodbye until our next Geek Night, but it was.
Hilary and Craig were some of the first people we met when Steve first moved out here to work for Agilent. Over time, we became better friends and surprisingly to them, we even decided to fly to Houston for their wedding a few years ago. They still talk about how shocked they were that we actually made the trip since we didn't know each other that well. At the time, we decided to go because we thought we would like to become better friends with them and some others who were planning on attending, so we thought we should express our commitment and head down to Texas. We weren't wrong...Craig and Hilary have become two of our closest friends here in Fort Collins, and along with Jason and Michelle, we have been having regular Geek Nights together for several years. When we got invited to Geek Night, the evenings consisted of the three guys playing Xbox and occasionally working on some geeky project while the three women sat around and talked. Eventually, the Xbox time got shorter and shorter and we all just ended up sitting around and talking.
As most of you know, I don't make friends easily. Some people think I am stuck up when they first meet me or say I am shy if they are being nice. So, when I have come so far in my relationship with people and I am comfortable being myself, it is hard when they leave because it feels like a little piece of me is leaving too. It felt this way when Mark left after living with us for almost a year. And now there is a part of me in Texas.
This past week since we last saw them, it hasn't really sunk in that they aren't still around. But today I did a walking loop past their house and it seemed like a walk down memory lane, thinking about helping them move into their house, eating dinners at their house, having our baby shower there, meeting Hilary for walks, having them watch Anya grow up, and sharing in their joy as they welcomed their own daughter into their lives.
So, I felt compelled to write something and say how much I have appreciated their friendships. I hope that we can make Geek Night live on in some form for years to come. This is not the end...
Hilary and Craig were some of the first people we met when Steve first moved out here to work for Agilent. Over time, we became better friends and surprisingly to them, we even decided to fly to Houston for their wedding a few years ago. They still talk about how shocked they were that we actually made the trip since we didn't know each other that well. At the time, we decided to go because we thought we would like to become better friends with them and some others who were planning on attending, so we thought we should express our commitment and head down to Texas. We weren't wrong...Craig and Hilary have become two of our closest friends here in Fort Collins, and along with Jason and Michelle, we have been having regular Geek Nights together for several years. When we got invited to Geek Night, the evenings consisted of the three guys playing Xbox and occasionally working on some geeky project while the three women sat around and talked. Eventually, the Xbox time got shorter and shorter and we all just ended up sitting around and talking.
As most of you know, I don't make friends easily. Some people think I am stuck up when they first meet me or say I am shy if they are being nice. So, when I have come so far in my relationship with people and I am comfortable being myself, it is hard when they leave because it feels like a little piece of me is leaving too. It felt this way when Mark left after living with us for almost a year. And now there is a part of me in Texas.
This past week since we last saw them, it hasn't really sunk in that they aren't still around. But today I did a walking loop past their house and it seemed like a walk down memory lane, thinking about helping them move into their house, eating dinners at their house, having our baby shower there, meeting Hilary for walks, having them watch Anya grow up, and sharing in their joy as they welcomed their own daughter into their lives.
So, I felt compelled to write something and say how much I have appreciated their friendships. I hope that we can make Geek Night live on in some form for years to come. This is not the end...

3 Comments:
Geek night will go on somehow, and I don't care what you say, they don't really live in Texas. They are just on a long vacation.
Where in TX? Near Houston - then you'll definitely have to come pay a visit to the lone star state!
Lara, your comments made me tear up just reading them. It's amazing how isolated I feel not knowing anybody here. It really makes me appreciate good friendships.
Post a Comment
<< Home