Monday, August 07, 2006

Miscellaneous tidbits

I should be sleeping right now, but I have just been on a marathon cleaning and cooking session, so I need to decompress before going to bed. We are having our playgroup over tomorrow morning, so I had to do some major work to get the house looking decent enough. I still need to get up in the morning and sweep the floors so they aren't completely disgusting. Tonight I also baked banana bread and made pesto. And this all happened after 8:30pm. Luckily, Anya was an angel until she went to bed and then went peacefully to sleep without me having to stay with her at all.

I actually talked to Steve this morning. I got a call on my cell phone from Travis, but it was actually Steve. I got this sinking feeling in my stomach when I saw that it was Travis's phone calling because I didn't think they were going to be able to contact anyone while they were out in the wilderness, so I was afraid something bad had happened. It was just Steve who hurriedly said something like, "Hi, it's Steve, everything is fine, we're at 14,000 feet, so I might lose you any minute, but I just wanted to tell you we're doing great and see how you are doing." I think he realized that I would be pretty freaked out if I got a call from him and then we got cut off before I knew that everything was okay. I was really relieved and happy to hear from him. We didn't talk long, but he did say he is still planning on arriving back home sometime after midnight Tuesday night.

I think overall I have done really well by myself. I am actually impressed with how much I have been doing to keep myself busy and that I haven't gotten lonely or too frustrated with anything. I did a good job of making sure I had things to do and people to talk to and I think adjusting my attitude helped a lot. Before Steve left I was dreading the time because I was thinking about how whiny Anya has been and not knowing how I was going to take it for that long on my own. But then once I got going, it wasn't bad at all. It makes me realize that maybe I just need to change my attitude on a normal day and not just constantly be counting the hours until Steve gets home from work. I am staying home for a reason and so I am hoping I can change my attitude and be happier in the present!

There are a few funny things Anya did these past few days that I might forget to tell Steve, so I'll write them down here and you can read them too...

Tonight I was cleaning out the diaper bag and threw away this muffin that had been in there for a couple of days. I put it in the trash, but the can was pretty full. Anya opened up the cabinet where the trash can is and saw the muffin, grabbed it out, took a bite, put it back in the trash and shut the cabinet. I was like, "No!!! You can't eat out of the trash!!!" Anya was pretty startled and did NOT understand why there was anything wrong with what she had done. I felt so bad for scaring her with my reaction that I opened the cabinet back up and gave her the muffin!

Last night I put Anya to bed and didn't realize that there was a snack cup inside her crib. I must have missed it among the sea of blankets, books, sippy cups, and legos (yes, somehow two or three legos also made their way into last night's list). Anyhow, I came in to check on Anya before I went to bed and saw that she was laying in tons of crunched up Crispix and the snack cup was empty. I guess she ate what she could and then fell asleep and rolled around in the rest of it. It was a complete mess, but I couldn't clean up very much of it without waking her up, so I just left it there and this morning she had another little snack of crumbs before she got out of bed.

Tonight on the way home from the grocery store Anya was quite mad that she had to be in her carseat. It is less than five minutes to drive from the store to our house, but she didn't care. So, I started saying the alphabet and she started copying me. I would say one letter at a time and she would say it back. We got through the whole alphabet and she tried to say almost every letter. It was really cool to hear her interpretations.

Lately, as part of going to bed, we have been saying, "Say good night to mommy," and Anya gives me a kiss and then "Say good night to daddy," and Anya gives Steve a kiss. The first night we were here without Steve, I said the first part and she kissed me and then looked at me as if she was waiting for the daddy part. She reached out to the family room and whined a bit. I said, "Do you want to say good night to daddy?" Anya frowned and said, "Yeah." I told her that he wasn't here tonight and she looked like she didn't believe me, so we went out to the family room and I said, "See, daddy isn't here, Anya." She looked around and looked at me and then wrinkled up her face and cried. It was so cute, but so sad. I know Steve will like hearing that.

That's all for now. Thanks for reading and being one of my connections to someone other than Anya these last few days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home