Wednesday, August 26, 2009

big sister

Two weeks ago, Anya and I attended a Big Brothers and Big Sisters class at the hospital. Unfortunately, Evan was too young to go with us. But Anya LOVED it. Several times after it, she said, "But I want it to be for lots of days, not just a one time class. It was SO fun." We started off the class with each child saying their name and age and whether they thought they were having a brother or sister. Anya was the only one of the big siblings who didn't answer anything herself. We then took a tour where we got to see a birthing room and a room in Women's Care, where we'll be after the baby is born until we go home. Anya was fascinated by everything and really liked seeing the rooms.

When we were all huddled into the birthing room, my emotions got the best of me and I teared up. I didn't stare at all the other pregnant moms, but I don't think I was the only one doing a little crying. It just kind of hit me that this was all really happening. In a few short weeks, we'll be in the birthing center for real, bringing another child into this world. I'm happy and excited, but also terrified and anxious. Will everything go okay with the delivery? How will Anya and Evan react to the change? Will we be able to calmly drop them off somewhere when we go to the hospital or will we be frantically calling someone to our house in the middle of the night? When will my energy return? Are we nuts for having another baby?

After the tour, we headed back to the classroom where the kids watched a really cheesy and silly video about being a big-sibling. They all watched intently while eating their snack on the floor. And then they got to practice with a baby doll. The teenage helpers passed out a baby doll to each child, except one little boy who refused to take one, and helped them carefully change the baby's diaper and wrap the baby in a blanket. Anya took this exercise very seriously. She cradled her baby as if it was real, lifted its feet like she's seen us do a thousand times to put on a new diaper, and wrapped it so tenderly in the blanket, making sure the blanket was nice and neat and the baby was properly covered. At the end of the practice, the instructor told them to gently lay their baby on the floor and say good-bye to the baby. Anya obediently and lovingly laid her baby down and leaned in to whisper, "good-bye, baby." It was so sweet and obviously, I got teary at this, too.

I even managed to snap this photo of her.

4 Comments:

Blogger jshb said...

Thank you Lara for sharing such a special part of this journey you are all on...wish you were closer to share it in person. Peace and blessings in the coming days...

1:26 PM  
Blogger Steve said...

You're making me tear up just reading this.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I totally got teary eyed reading this! It's so exciting that Anya got to do something like this! I hope when the time comes, they have something like this for Danielle!

9:10 PM  
Blogger Hilary said...

Ahh, thanks for sharing this sweet experience. She is going to be so much help!

8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home