Saturday, April 11, 2009

two years of Evan

Thursday was Evan's second birthday and while I've let lots of milestones (including Anya's 4th birthday, which will hopefully still be documented someday) fall by the wayside, I am happy to keep up my return to blogging with a bit about our day.

This week has not been a particularly fun one at our house. We got back from a trip to Illinois at the end of last week, but ever since then we've either been recovering from an illness we had in Illinois or passing around another one. I was the only one who really escaped, but I was the pregnant one taking care of everyone, so I didn't really escape. Anyhow, this isn't supposed to be a sob story about our week of sickness. It is just to say that when Evan's birthday rolled around, we weren't really prepared for much of a celebration.

I began Evan's birthday by taking the kids to the doctor for Evan's two year old well-care visit. Luckily, he wasn't scheduled for any shots, so the visit was nice and easy. Evan was super charming and talkative to the doctor, so she had no concerns about his language development. And as usual there were no concerns about his physical growth. The doctor and nurse always make silly comments about how they don't know how he came from such a small family.

Height - 34.75 inches - 65th percentile
Weight - 30 lbs. 9 oz. - 80th percentile
Head Circumference - 20 inches - 93rd percentile

Anya was so obsessed with Evan's birthday being a celebration. In fact, she spent a good a part of the day before crying, "But I want TODAY to be Evan's birthday." Seriously, what am I supposed to say to that? She was also really not happy that on his birthday I kept telling her that I wasn't sure what we would be doing that night since I didn't know how everyone would be feeling. We had several presents to open from family, so we decided to just let him open his presents after dinner and then wait until this weekend to make a cake and have him open a few other presents we have to give him. And yes, Anya, then we can put up some streamers and balloons and have party hats. She's such a good big sister to make sure we adequately celebrate his birthday.

Evan LOVES opening presents and while he was genuinely excited about the stuff in the presents, he really just wanted to find the next present to open. He was so mad when the presents ran out and he was forced to play with all his fun new stuff.



Evan got these little letters on wheels that hook together to spell his name. I put them together for him and said something about it being a train. Not long after, he was digging through our train box to get some more trains to connect up. At first I thought he would be disappointed because the trains wouldn't connect, but then I realized Evan was intuitively smarter than me because obviously the magnetic trains we already had connected perfectly to the metal hooks on the train letters.






He was so proud of himself! And I was, too. Seriously, this age has a lot of challenges - mainly due to Evan's strong will and stubbornness, but it also has so many exciting parts. I love it when they start to connect the pieces of their world and when they start to have apparent memory. I am constantly amazed by what he can do and what he understands.



Anya got a couple presents of her own for Evan's birthday. Here she is showing off her beautiful necklace and bracelet from Honduras.



More presents...



More fun...



It is hard to believe that I have a four year old and a two year old, not to mention another one on the way. Seriously, whatever did we do with our time before we had kids? Being a parent is incredibly exhausting, but also incredibly rewarding.

As Evan grows up and will soon no longer be "our baby" I am getting nostalgic. He and I have been having some special moments lately, which is nice. If you haven't been around all of us at the same time, you might not know how much Evan is in love with Steve. Seriously, it is unbelievable how much he is attached to his daddy. And I love it. When Steve isn't around mommy is fine and able to do most anything, but whenever daddy (or even the thought of daddy) is available, mommy just isn't always good enough. But having just spent two whole weeks in Illinois without Steve made Evan and me a little closer, I think. In fact, on the night of his birthday, he wanted me to put him to bed. We don't really ever ask him to choose, but just decide for him, which almost always means that Steve is the one reading him his story and putting him in bed. It's just easier that way on everyone. But that night, he was upset that it wasn't me. I have to admit that while I absolutely love the special relationship he and Steve share, it was incredibly touching to be so wanted at that moment. Maybe it was his way of saying thank you to me for delivering him into this world two years ago. Whatever it was, it was a nice moment I'll always remember.

3 Comments:

Blogger Hilary said...

What a wonderfully sweet pic of him sleeping. :)

And Evan, sorry our birthday present hasn't arrived yet - look for it this week for another belated celebration!

12:32 PM  
Blogger Hilary said...

Brought a tear to my eye. H in Austin

1:20 PM  
Anonymous Katherine said...

Happy belated birthday, Sweet baby Evan!! I guess not much longer that we can call you baby!!

And soon, you'll have a baby brother or sister of your own! And you will officially become "the middle child." I don't know anything about that, but your Auntie Crystal was a middle child, and I think she turned out okay! And you'll always have an "out" card to play as you grow older. "Evan why did you do/say that?"... you can simply say "I'm a middle child." 'Nuff said. :)

Seriously, we hope you had a fantastic day with your family! And Benjamin wants to compare notes on trucks, animals and colors sometime soon!

Love, Katherine, Mark & Benjamin

8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home