Evan's one year appointment
So, I know I still haven't posted anything about Evan turning one. I still haven't posted anything about Anya turning three back in January either, so at least I am neglecting them evenly, I guess. Oh wait, I'm not neglecting them...that's the problem. I'm paying attention to them so I don't have time to blog about them.
But I thought I would at least share Evan's stats with you all, although I know you don't care that much about the numbers and really just want to hear about my exciting life!
Evan weighed in at 21 pounds 3 ounces (25th percentile) and was 24 inches tall (20th percentile). Following in Anya's footsteps, his head measured at 19 inches (93rd! percentile). It always cracks me up when the nurse measures it because she makes some dorky comment about "all those brains in there." I mean, come on, how do you know? What does she say to the baby in the 25th percentile? "Well, I guess you won't amount to much." Seriously, I know it's just something people say, but it still makes me laugh inside.
Evan did okay at his appointment, smiling up a storm at the student nurse who was tagging along. He was also laughing hysterically at one point and looking at the student nurse and they said that he was flirting with her, which was probably part of it, but what they weren't noticing was that he was also smacking Anya (gently) on the head over and over and I think he thought he was hilarious. He got three shots today and hated every second of it and cried for some time afterwards.
Anya looked terrified the whole appointment and looked like she was close to tears every time anyone made eye contact with her or tried to talk to her. But at the very end she livened up and even told Dr. A that she likes to jump at the park. I'm not sure the Dr. knew she could talk!
Evan is doing okay in all his development except for some of the communication stuff. For example, the little info sheet we got says that he should be saying at least 2-3 words and obviously understanding 2-3 words (i.e. Where's the car?). Yeah right. He's not doing any of that. And while I think he is definitely below average in this area, I'm not even a teensy bit worried about it at this point. I mean, just look at "all those brains in there!"
But I thought I would at least share Evan's stats with you all, although I know you don't care that much about the numbers and really just want to hear about my exciting life!
Evan weighed in at 21 pounds 3 ounces (25th percentile) and was 24 inches tall (20th percentile). Following in Anya's footsteps, his head measured at 19 inches (93rd! percentile). It always cracks me up when the nurse measures it because she makes some dorky comment about "all those brains in there." I mean, come on, how do you know? What does she say to the baby in the 25th percentile? "Well, I guess you won't amount to much." Seriously, I know it's just something people say, but it still makes me laugh inside.
Evan did okay at his appointment, smiling up a storm at the student nurse who was tagging along. He was also laughing hysterically at one point and looking at the student nurse and they said that he was flirting with her, which was probably part of it, but what they weren't noticing was that he was also smacking Anya (gently) on the head over and over and I think he thought he was hilarious. He got three shots today and hated every second of it and cried for some time afterwards.
Anya looked terrified the whole appointment and looked like she was close to tears every time anyone made eye contact with her or tried to talk to her. But at the very end she livened up and even told Dr. A that she likes to jump at the park. I'm not sure the Dr. knew she could talk!
Evan is doing okay in all his development except for some of the communication stuff. For example, the little info sheet we got says that he should be saying at least 2-3 words and obviously understanding 2-3 words (i.e. Where's the car?). Yeah right. He's not doing any of that. And while I think he is definitely below average in this area, I'm not even a teensy bit worried about it at this point. I mean, just look at "all those brains in there!"

4 Comments:
I was also a late talker. My mom said my sister did all of my talking for me (interpreting what I wanted) and that with her, I had no need to talk. :-)
Yeah for the update!! Do they have a different developmental chart for boys than girls? I read something recently about how their brains are actually fairly different in childhood - and that boys don't hear as well as girls early on, which is one of the reasons they are slower in speech development than girls.
I definitely think this is true - at least the boys developing differently than girls - Benjamin is "clearly" a boy in that he likes to climb, crawl and knock stuff over much more than he's interested in sitting and reading a book or having a "conversation" with me.
He's only two months behind Evan, but he still pretty much only says "da-da-da". We had some ba's, ma's, and I think even na's at one point, but I guess he decided he liks "da-da-da" the best - because that's all he ever says!!
Don't let Evan get a big head over his big head. :)
We can't even get a "ma" or "da" out of danielle - if you ask her to "say da" she'll just smile and laugh - at least she has career potential as a clown...
You put all that effort into teaching Anya sign-language; you should just have her teach Evan for you:) I mean the kid is three. Its time to start pulling some weight!
PS I love my niece, and the above is a complete joke
Post a Comment
<< Home