Evan is/was six months old!
Yesterday we had Evan's six month check-up. For the correct spacing of his immunizations we had to have his six month appointment a few weeks late since we had his four month appointment late. So, he will actually be seven months next week.
Here are his stats...
Height - 26.5 inches (30th percentile)
Weight - 17 pounds 13.5 ounces (40th percentile)
Head circumference - 17.75 inches (75th percentile)
Evan was right on track with most of his developmental milestones, except for the rolling over. I can still count on one hand the number of time I have ever seen him roll. But I think since he is sitting up really well now, he doesn't have much incentive to roll. The doctor obviously wasn't worried about him not rolling because he is obviously very strong if he can sit up.
The worst part of the appointment was that we got flu shots for Anya and Evan. We didn't tell Anya about her getting one before we got to the doctor because we didn't want to scare her too much and we weren't actually sure yet if she could get one at Evan's appointment or not. So, when we found out she could, we told her about it and she was really upset. Steve tried to distract her through Evan's appointment with books, but you could see the look of fear in her eyes. She started crying when it was her turn and Steve had to restrain her on the table so she could get the shot in her leg. She was so scared afterwards. She seriously turned pale and her lips were white and she kind of looked a little faint. I felt horrible like I had betrayed her trust. It was awful, but she eventually did recover. Thank goodness we had the trick-or-treating at Steve's work to look forward to after her nap. The last I heard from her about the shot was when I was putting her down for her nap she said, "Will my leg still hurt when I lay in my bed?" But by the time she had woken up, she didn't mention it again.
Evan did okay with getting his shots. He cried, of course, but recovered quickly. However, his legs seemed to be a bit sore for the rest of the day. He will have to go back in 30 days for a second flu shot (you have to do that when you get your first one). I think I'll still plan on taking Anya with me so that she knows that not every time we go she will have to get a shot, too. And thankfully, Evan's nine month appointment will not involve any shots, so that should make everyone happy.
Here are his stats...
Height - 26.5 inches (30th percentile)
Weight - 17 pounds 13.5 ounces (40th percentile)
Head circumference - 17.75 inches (75th percentile)
Evan was right on track with most of his developmental milestones, except for the rolling over. I can still count on one hand the number of time I have ever seen him roll. But I think since he is sitting up really well now, he doesn't have much incentive to roll. The doctor obviously wasn't worried about him not rolling because he is obviously very strong if he can sit up.
The worst part of the appointment was that we got flu shots for Anya and Evan. We didn't tell Anya about her getting one before we got to the doctor because we didn't want to scare her too much and we weren't actually sure yet if she could get one at Evan's appointment or not. So, when we found out she could, we told her about it and she was really upset. Steve tried to distract her through Evan's appointment with books, but you could see the look of fear in her eyes. She started crying when it was her turn and Steve had to restrain her on the table so she could get the shot in her leg. She was so scared afterwards. She seriously turned pale and her lips were white and she kind of looked a little faint. I felt horrible like I had betrayed her trust. It was awful, but she eventually did recover. Thank goodness we had the trick-or-treating at Steve's work to look forward to after her nap. The last I heard from her about the shot was when I was putting her down for her nap she said, "Will my leg still hurt when I lay in my bed?" But by the time she had woken up, she didn't mention it again.
Evan did okay with getting his shots. He cried, of course, but recovered quickly. However, his legs seemed to be a bit sore for the rest of the day. He will have to go back in 30 days for a second flu shot (you have to do that when you get your first one). I think I'll still plan on taking Anya with me so that she knows that not every time we go she will have to get a shot, too. And thankfully, Evan's nine month appointment will not involve any shots, so that should make everyone happy.

3 Comments:
Yeah Evan! 1/2 a year old! What milestones did your doctor check for at the 6 month mark? I don't know that my doctor checks the developmental milestones? Or he does, but doesn't tell me? I've heard that they can just sort of watch how the baby interacts, etc. during the doctor visit, and can tell a lot from that without formal questions. I'm curious, though, because your doctor seems to have a checklist or something?
Yeah Evan! 1/2 a year old! What milestones did your doctor check for at the 6 month mark? I don't know that my doctor checks the developmental milestones? Or he does, but doesn't tell me? I've heard that they can just sort of watch how the baby interacts, etc. during the doctor visit, and can tell a lot from that without formal questions. I'm curious, though, because your doctor seems to have a checklist or something?
I'm sure you felt horrible about the shot fiasco. I always felt like I betrayed you and Hilary when I didn't prepare you (which I usually refrained from doing). On the other hand, it never seemed like a good idea to tell you ahead of time and have you stew and worry and get all worked up (which is what happened if I did tell you ahead of time). I still vote for the ignorance is temporarily bliss if shots are a trauma.
Post a Comment
<< Home