Tuesday, August 28, 2007

To Wyoming and back

We had Evan’s 4 month appointment today, even though he is actually three weeks overdue. He was 14 lbs. 14.5 oz (30th percentile), 25.5 inches (55th percentile) long, and had a head circumference of 17 inches (55th percentile). He passed all the normal four month checks with flying colors and actually rolled over (front to back) for the first time while we were there. Our doctor is so great and laid back, but her nurse is completely annoying and talks in this really silly baby-talk voice all the time. She (the nurse) refuses to take "I don't know" as an answer to how many times a day is Evan eating. Seriously, I have no clue! So, we'll put you down for 6-8? Sure, sounds great!

Evan did okay with his shots at the appointment, but was really fussy this afternoon. Anya fell asleep on the way home from lunch with Steve (after the appointment and playgroup this morning) and when we got home she wouldn’t go back to sleep. I still put her down for a “nap,” but about 3o minutes after I left the room, one of her books fell down between the mattress and the wall and it was a complete tragedy. I heard, "Mommy! My book! Mommy! My book!" coming loud over the monitor and knew her attempt at a nap had failed.

I toughed it out at home for another hour with two incredibly whiny children and then decided I had to get out of the house, so I loaded everyone up in the car and headed down to Loveland for a couple errands I wanted to run. On the way there, it started pouring down rain. We got there and sat in the car for fifteen minutes hoping the rain would let up. Meanwhile, Evan woke up screaming at the top of his lungs. I tried calming him down in the car for a long time (only briefly considering whether a jolt of cold rain would snap him out of it), but nothing I could do worked, so I finally just had to strap him back into the carseat.

By this time, I had given up on the rain stopping and realized my shopping trip was a bust. So, I started driving back up to Fort Collins, but then Anya fell asleep in the car again, so I just kept driving. I drove to Wyoming and decided that was probably far enough, so I turned back around! And Evan screamed the ENTIRE WAY!!! I thought I was going to go crazy. I have no idea how Anya could sleep through it. He did eventually fall asleep (after 90 long minutes of full volume screaming) about 10 minutes from home.

Evan woke up when we got home, but Anya slept for about 10 more minutes in the car. (Don't worry paranoid readers - I had the car windows open, it was currently 70 degrees outside and I had the front door of the house open and was constantly checking on her.) And Steve pulled up in the driveway just as I was getting Anya out. Ahhh...relief.

Remarkably, this evening has been extremely peaceful.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah! An update from Lara!! Yeah for Evan that he is on-target with his development. I'm sorry he's still screaming at you though! Hopefully it's getting better at least?

At the very least, you can feel good that you are keeping me well-employed by burning up all that fuel driving!

I'll call you soon - or you call me!

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry for a horrible afternoon. The nurse does sound annoying (like who counts how many times they nurse?), the naps failed, and the trip to Wyoming sounds awful. Other than that, a lovely day, huh?

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home