Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Addiction

I'm an organizational addict. Unfortunately, you might not tell that by looking at parts of our house on a regular basis. I guess I'm an addict with not enough time to feed my addiction.

This weekend I got extremely overwhelmed by the volume of stuff in our house that doesn't have a place. We were tripping over stuff left and right. Even Anya said, "sometime we should clean up our house. It's kind of messy!" Our suitcases are unpacked from the holidays, but all our Christmas presents still don't all have a home. And it didn't help that I still hadn't done laundry since we got back from our trip over a week ago. We had twelve loads of laundry to do this weekend! One of the obstacles to not having done the laundry was taking care of my children, of course. But a few other things standing in the way were the groceries piled on the washer and dryer that we still hadn't put away from last weekend, the miscellaneous articles of clothing all around the house that still needed to be picked up, and the fact that there was no floor space to sort twelve loads of laundry. But it finally got done. Well, at least it all got washed and dried and folded, but not all put away yet.

When Monday morning rolled around, I just couldn't face the stuff and so instead I got out of the house. What did I do? Go shopping of course...because that makes perfect sense! I didn't buy a ton of stuff, but just some clothes for future seasons for Anya and Evan and some diapers at Target. And it got me out of the house and into a better mindset. I came home energized to DO SOMETHING!!!

Another motivator for cleaning up the house is that we have an ARC pickup scheduled for tomorrow morning. ARC is a thrift store where we usually donate our stuff and because we are on their donor list, they call us periodically to see if we have anything to give them. (Thanks to Craig and Hilary for enlightening us to the beauty of the home pickups!) I scheduled the pickup before I knew of anything that we wanted to get rid of because I knew I should be able to find something in all this mess. And I am happy to say that we now have seven bags of miscellaneous stuff to put out on the front porch tomorrow morning. Bye bye stuff!

One main issue in our house is where to put all the toys. They just keep multiplying! So, I gathered up two huge laundry baskets of toys that are not currently seeing a lot of use but that I'm not ready to part with yet and stashed them in the basement.

Then I gathered up three shopping bags of kids' stuff (toys, books, clothes, etc.) to try and resell at Harmony Kids - one of our kids' resale shops in town. I'll take that stuff in on Wednesday.

I also found 15 clothing items to take to Repeat Boutique, a consignment store here in town, and I dropped those off this afternoon.

We also put up our first item on freecycle. And that was picked up this afternoon, too.

So, I am feeling much better. We have clean clothes, we can walk through our house again and it is easier to play. I don't know how long it will last, but my addiction has been temporarily satisfied.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it great to get those things done? I know it doesn't happen often around here either, but I love it when it does! Good for you :)

2:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woo-hoo!! What a fun addiction!! I think it's totally cathartic (I think that's the right word, although I'm sure I mis-spelled it) to get rid of stuff!! In a couple of weeks, Mark and I are going to clean out our closets. Most of my wardrobe is either too small (pre-pregnancy) or too big (maternity/postpartum), so we're going to put stuff that doesn't fit away into tupperwares so that we can go back through them if (or should I say WHEN!) we lose weight to retrieve "new" stuff.

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home