Giving thanks
I could write a cheesy post about how I am thankful for my family and friends, my warm house, freedom, good food, blah, blah, blah. And it would all be true, but over the last few days when I was supposed to be feeling thankful, I was feeling sick. I got sick on Thanksgiving evening with some sort of stomach bug that kept me throwing up all through the night on Thursday into Friday morning. I then spent the rest of Friday and all of Saturday on the couch feeling completely weak, nauseated, and pathetic. Considering all of that, I still did find time to be thankful for many things.
Thanksgiving dinner - Steve and I cooked a great meal for the two of us (Anya didn't eat any of it, except maybe a roll.) on Thursday before I got sick. We made homemade rolls, pumpkin pie with homemade crust, cornbread stuffing, and roasted chicken. You know, all the good stuff with lots of carbs. It was kind of fun to do it all ourselves and everything turned out great. Until I was staring at it coming back up in the toilet. I know, you probably didn't need that picture, but really...it was so disappointing knowing that I wouldn't be able to eat any of the leftovers anymore.
Cooperative Anya - With the exception of Thanksgiving day, when Anya was incredibly sleep deprived and cranky, she has been in a wonderful mood this weekend. I wouldn't have been the one to do anything about it regardless, but I'm happy for Steve that he had an easygoing child on his hands. I think she is happy that I have been paying more attention to her today, but she also has had some great bonding time with daddy over the last few days and seems to prefer that he continue to do everything for her. No complaints here. I'll get plenty more chances to comfort, change diapers, draw pumpkins, fight the food battle, and play kitchen.
Steve - Oh, what would I do as a single mother? Steve has been great, taking care of me and doing absolutely everything for Anya when I couldn't really do anything but lay on the couch and watch TV. He never once made me feel guilty about anything, made trips to the store and Blockbuster, slept in the guest room, cleaned the kitchen several times, and tried to help his poor helpless wife with anything she needed. I hope he doesn't get repaid by getting sick himself. That just wouldn't be fair.
Chicken broth, Jello and 7-Up - Sometimes there are only a few things that can really help you make the turn from empty stomach to regular eating again. I am finally able to eat a little more dangerously today, but the most exotic thing I've had so far is a sandwich.
Grey's Anatomy - Strange to be thankful for a TV show, right? And to have it be on the same list with my husband and daughter. Well, let's be honest...without the TV these past few days would have been utter torture. When I am sick to my stomach, I am a mental mess. I can't think about anything but being sick and dwelling on the fact that I have no idea how I am going to get over it. I started watching the first two seasons of Grey's Anatomy on DVD last week before Thanksgiving. (Side note of thanks to Tanino for convincing me to give it a try.) I have to admit that at first I wasn't too impressed with the show. I was interested in it, but wasn't really as drawn in as I was expecting to be. Well, then I got sick and Grey's Anatomy became my life. Whenever it was paused, I felt sicker and more emotionally out of control. No, I'm not exaggerating. I just had to keep watching. And of course, after several episodes, I became hooked. I could focus less on my life and more on this TV life. And that's how I survived the days of feeling sick. Overall, I think I watched a total of 24 hours (36 episodes) of Grey's Anatomy. And Steve got hooked too. He didn't watch all 24 hours with me, but he did watch a large portion of them and now even admits that he got sucked in, too. We actually only have one episode left and then we'll be caught up to watch the current season which is waiting on our TiVo. And the best part is that we got all the DVD's from Blockbuster for free because I signed up for this free two week trial of their Total Access (similar to NetFlix) program. Otherwise, it would have cost me about $32 to rent them all.
So, there you have it...my list of things that I am thankful for. I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving without sickness of any kind. If not, I'm sorry. And next time you're sick, go rent a TV show to watch. It's well worth it, even if you don't get it for free.
Thanksgiving dinner - Steve and I cooked a great meal for the two of us (Anya didn't eat any of it, except maybe a roll.) on Thursday before I got sick. We made homemade rolls, pumpkin pie with homemade crust, cornbread stuffing, and roasted chicken. You know, all the good stuff with lots of carbs. It was kind of fun to do it all ourselves and everything turned out great. Until I was staring at it coming back up in the toilet. I know, you probably didn't need that picture, but really...it was so disappointing knowing that I wouldn't be able to eat any of the leftovers anymore.
Cooperative Anya - With the exception of Thanksgiving day, when Anya was incredibly sleep deprived and cranky, she has been in a wonderful mood this weekend. I wouldn't have been the one to do anything about it regardless, but I'm happy for Steve that he had an easygoing child on his hands. I think she is happy that I have been paying more attention to her today, but she also has had some great bonding time with daddy over the last few days and seems to prefer that he continue to do everything for her. No complaints here. I'll get plenty more chances to comfort, change diapers, draw pumpkins, fight the food battle, and play kitchen.
Steve - Oh, what would I do as a single mother? Steve has been great, taking care of me and doing absolutely everything for Anya when I couldn't really do anything but lay on the couch and watch TV. He never once made me feel guilty about anything, made trips to the store and Blockbuster, slept in the guest room, cleaned the kitchen several times, and tried to help his poor helpless wife with anything she needed. I hope he doesn't get repaid by getting sick himself. That just wouldn't be fair.
Chicken broth, Jello and 7-Up - Sometimes there are only a few things that can really help you make the turn from empty stomach to regular eating again. I am finally able to eat a little more dangerously today, but the most exotic thing I've had so far is a sandwich.
Grey's Anatomy - Strange to be thankful for a TV show, right? And to have it be on the same list with my husband and daughter. Well, let's be honest...without the TV these past few days would have been utter torture. When I am sick to my stomach, I am a mental mess. I can't think about anything but being sick and dwelling on the fact that I have no idea how I am going to get over it. I started watching the first two seasons of Grey's Anatomy on DVD last week before Thanksgiving. (Side note of thanks to Tanino for convincing me to give it a try.) I have to admit that at first I wasn't too impressed with the show. I was interested in it, but wasn't really as drawn in as I was expecting to be. Well, then I got sick and Grey's Anatomy became my life. Whenever it was paused, I felt sicker and more emotionally out of control. No, I'm not exaggerating. I just had to keep watching. And of course, after several episodes, I became hooked. I could focus less on my life and more on this TV life. And that's how I survived the days of feeling sick. Overall, I think I watched a total of 24 hours (36 episodes) of Grey's Anatomy. And Steve got hooked too. He didn't watch all 24 hours with me, but he did watch a large portion of them and now even admits that he got sucked in, too. We actually only have one episode left and then we'll be caught up to watch the current season which is waiting on our TiVo. And the best part is that we got all the DVD's from Blockbuster for free because I signed up for this free two week trial of their Total Access (similar to NetFlix) program. Otherwise, it would have cost me about $32 to rent them all.
So, there you have it...my list of things that I am thankful for. I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving without sickness of any kind. If not, I'm sorry. And next time you're sick, go rent a TV show to watch. It's well worth it, even if you don't get it for free.

3 Comments:
ah-hah! So, the Grey's Anatomy did get worth it. good to know!!
Sorry you were sick. It is good to know Grey's Anatomy is worth it. I'll remember that when I am at home.
I agree that TV is a wonderful way to escape. Dawson's Creek got me through the stress of college. Next time somebody asks me what to do to make their daughter like science and math, I'll suggest a good serial adolescent show.
Post a Comment
<< Home