Saturday, July 24, 2010

July 21, 2010 - part 1

I am splitting this day into two parts. We had two fun outings this day and I just couldn't stop taking photos! Here is part 1 - our visit to the water feature outside the University of Chicago Law Library. Supposedly, this is a totally okay place to hang out, however it felt extremely illegal! That feeling was made stronger by the fact that we had the only kids there. But the kids ALL had a blast. It is seriously just a huge shallow rectangle of water with one statue in it, but so incredibly fun. And Anya and Evan took almost zero time to warm up - most definitely due to the fact that they had their fun-loving cousins as examples of how to have fun here and also because there was nobody else around. It was pure bliss for them and for me to watch. I hope I never forget the looks on their faces as they just ran...simply ran...through the water.

Here are a few photos to try and capture a sense of the place before I talk about each kid specifically.










This next photo is one of my favorites. Nora just looked so tiny in this huge pool of water.



And now...the kids. Starting from oldest to youngest...

Anya spent a lot of time running. And a lot of time running to try and catch Dylan, who was much faster than she, but she didn't seem to mind at all.











The girls had so much fun together. Scooping up water, talking, and making up their own detailed play together.





Dylan just has so much energy. She is so fun to watch, but so difficult to photograph! She just moves and moves and her adorable curly hair can often make it hard to see her face. But I still love these Dylan moments.









Noah was probably the calmest of the four older kids, but he was still playing constantly and intensely the whole time. Until the end (when I didn't have my camera out anymore) and he was just lying down in the water with his sunglasses on, lounging and scooping water. I'll just have to remember that part in my head.







Noah and I were trying to capture a photo of him throwing water into the air.









Evan was probably the most joy inspiring one for me to watch. He just ran with abandon back and forth across the pool with such an incredible look of delight on his face.









Here Evan is testing his limits. I told him not to drink the water, so he closed his mouth and put it in the water. I told him not to put his mouth in the water, so he stuck his chin in the water so it barely reached his mouth. How about my chin, mom? What a stinker!



Evan had so much fun until he didn't...he crashed. He got whiny and irritable and lethargic.



And finally, on his own, he laid down on a towel and went to sleep.



He slept through some really loud construction work just feet away from where he was lying. When Evan started melting down, we had actually planned on just packing up and leaving. But then when he fell asleep, we ended up staying for longer than we had planned so that he could get in a little bit more sleep since I knew he wouldn't go back to sleep after we woke him up to go home for lunch.



Nora began the outing by sleeping, but she eventually woke up to join in the fun. When Kate was visiting us last week, we went to the pool and it was Nora's first time there. She had a blast, so I was happy that Nora woke up at the Law Library because I knew she would love the water here, too.



She tried to crawl without her knees touching the hard surface.





Exploring the cracks.











It was such a fun time for everyone! Thanks, Hilary, Dylan, and Noah for taking us to this secret Chicago spot!

3 Comments:

Blogger Hilary said...

CUTE! Love the pictures you chose. Especially the ones capturing each kid so accurately in the moment. :) I'm glad you have such a great camera (and bring it places), since I never get pics these great. WE MISS YOU!

9:01 PM  
Anonymous Michelle said...

That looks like so much fun! I can't believe Evan just crashed there in the middle of everything.

10:18 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

What a fabulous memory to have in photos - looks like all the kids had a wonderful time, I LOVE those Anya shots - she looks like she's enjoying "pure bliss!"

8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home