Sunday, January 10, 2010

January 10, 2010

Today was kind of an annoying day for me. I had great ideas of lots to get done, but it just didn't happen. But the biggest accomplishment was finally starting on the twelve loads of laundry waiting from our Christmas/New Years trip. I'm about halfway done with it, so that feels good, but it could be a couple days before I can finish it all since tomorrow is going to be a big day in our family when Anya turns five!



Tonight we went searching for her birthday snack for preschool tomorrow. Anya chose to bring cupcakes, orange cheese and water. She has several kids in her class who can't have nuts and we aren't supposed to bring anything that says, "May contain traces of nuts." or "Processed in a facility that also processes nuts." All the snacks brought to school have to be store-bought, but we could not find any cupcakes that did not have the nut issue. So, after much consideration we eventually got some store-made cookies from Whole Foods that didn't have the warning label on them. She was pretty agreeable about the whole thing, but I felt really bad that she couldn't get what she wanted. I don't fault the kids or their families for having the restrictions, obviously, but it was really stressful. And it made me realize how frustrating and terrifying it would be to have to worry about this on a daily basis. Steve came up with the good idea that since Anya couldn't get what she wanted for her school snack that she could pick out something special just for us to take home. Anya looked intently around the bakery section of Whole Foods and considered a few options before asking, "Does it have to be something little?" I asked her to just say what she was thinking and she pointed to these huge chocolate chip cookies with icing on top. After a moment of hesitation I said, "Sure, why not!" You only get to turn five once!

2 Comments:

Blogger Hilary said...

cutest picture ever (of her and the cookie)!

I can't wait to talk to the five-year old today! we were actually wondering if you had time in your fun day for webcam, so let us know!

hope preschool is fun for her on her bday!! love you!

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Mark G said...

Great story, even better picture. Happy birthday to her, and congrats to you and Steve!

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home